Wednesday, February 11, 2009

FLYING

Sister Sledge 'We Are Family'

This morning while rounding the bend of 3 miles in a 6 mile run, the song 'We Are Family' came on. I was at the same place mentally, physically, & emotionally I seem to always pass through on my way to some place better. Please tell me you know what this sounds like.
“Is that right?!?!” looking at the stats of my run, “I'm only half done!?? I don’t know, I can’t see, there is sweat in my eyes! Up my nose and yes, finding drainage into my mouth! I could blow a limb….. RIGHT OFF MY BODY!" BUT (and this is an amazing thing for me) I love the challenge! Not for the same old reason, to get skinny, but because (and I really had to think about this), it's because of the misery and then the joy the bitter and then the sweet, the good vs. evil of it all; (at least I think that's what it is). So, from somewhere, ANYWHERE! I’m looking for that “second wind”. Sometimes it comes relatively easy but THAT is the exception to the rule, and happily, the exception to the rule is what I so enjoyed this morning!
The lyrics go like this, "We are family, I got all my sisters with me." So naturally, I start to think about my sisters and sister in laws, and their amazingness (made-up word in solidarity with Melissa) and I thought about all the things I love about each of them.

Everyone knows Lindsey IS the nicest sister, need I say more? Yes, I must. She will laugh at your stupid jokes, love your stupid hair, and your big behind.......she won’t even notice in those way cute jeans. She is a girlfriend to every girl, even to my teenagers, (true of all my sisters). MaRea would give you the shirt off her back, even if she got an amazing deal on it. Her heart is as true as the day is long, making her a closet liberal. I love the way she loves! Angie can relate with old men and little kids without a noticeable gear change. She is bright in all the ways you can think to use that word. Melissa moves through her life like an Olympic speed skater, long, strong & purposeful strides, she really moves! (not just physically), I just love to watch. Nicole has an incredibly tender heart, finding that tenderness makes you the luckiest, because you will never find a more loyal and dear friend. Karen is just 18 month younger than me, but she has always been 2 step ahead of me and it has been a source of frustration all my life, up-n-till now! Not because I'm catching up, I'v given up that lost race. I think, it's because I'v stopped chasing and started watching, and wow what a view! She bounds through life with a butterfly net catching amazing things, how fun is that!!!! You know if you have spent any time with her! Shari, better known as Shar by the luckiest man in the family, has a gift for drawing into her arms anyone who will let her enjoy them, who can resist? not anyone I know. Tera, posted on her blog a beautiful tribute to her mom saying " She has always chosen patience over intolerance, calmness over sass, looks of praise over distance and consistency over swats" end quote. The amazing thing is, those are words I would choose to describe Tera. She has an amazing clarity about where she wants to live her life. Laura; I have a pair of running shoes on the floor in my bathroom, and every time I walk past them, I feel something a kin to how I feel about seeing my scriptures open with a recent OH YA!!!! still lingering there on the pages. I remember the joy of that mornings run, and a certain sister who helped me find the PERFECT running shoes and the attitude that has to go with them, in order to find the joy there in the soles! (This morning; 6 miles in under 60 minutes!!!!)

In my circle of sisters my mom is always there. She flows through all of us in ways I have no words for, and my daughters are turning up there, more and more often, and they are listening and learning from the best!

So, you know the rest of the story, as I start thinking about these amazing people and how blessed I am....... my chest and head rise, my pace picks up and the rhythm of my run changes. My heart wasn't beating just from the demands of my quads, but from something so much more inspired, I wanted so much for them, the best of what they wanted, I prayed with my whole soul for their righteous desires, and that at lest on that day, they would feel the love of God for them. I was working from my core! No....... IT WAS MORE LIKE FLYING!

9 comments:

Tibbitts Paperbag said...

Hess said...
I have been waiting for your new post, you need to post it again so people know that you have reposted and it is something new, not the old redneck one. I just heard through the grapevine that you posted and how wonderful it was.

I wish you would post more often, I love reading your posts. I knew each and every word you post has so much thought and consideration in them. I know why God had you come first in a family of ten. Heavenly Father new there were 9 siblings coming behind who, and the only way he was sending them was if they oldest was made of GOLD. She would be an example in all situations. I think it is so wonderful that there is such a gap between you and Angie, but you would never guess because your friendship is so strong.
February 10, 2009 7:31 PM

Anonymous said...

Andie Bonze said...
Oh my gosh you always have just an amazing blog! I love to read it! You have a talent that I just love to see:) Tell your girlies that I say hi and that I hope to see your family soon!
FEBRUARY 9, 2009 4:19 PM

Anonymous said...

Chez Prier said...
Kim I LOVE YOU!!! You are so beautiful to me! I am crying after reading your blog, I hope you are happy! I am so grateful to you for your wisdom and power! You have such a beautiful heart. I know we have had a hard time learning how to love each other without the competition but wow how good it feels to feel your love and your support without the gunk! I hope you will feel the same from me because that is all I have for you, pure LOVE without any hesitation or jealousy, and that is hard won and hard worked for, but well worth the price. I am grateful for the lessons and the power it is affording me. Thank you for running that course with me. WOW 6 miles, that is impressive!
FEBRUARY 10, 2009 1:54 PM

Anonymous said...

Wow Kim you are such and amazing person. Thank you for giving us all in insight to your sole, you are so incredible you really do see the best in people and only want the best for EVERYONE.

I love so much that you love running it tickles my heart because to me that is my place that brings me back to my center and my balance. And it is not something that can be appreciated until you experience it yourself, and you so are!

Lindsey Smith said...

I feel so lucky that I have you as my oldest sister. As i was reading this WONDEFUL post I turned to Jack and told him how lucky I was to have you and he said "ya you lucky." This may sound wird but there are times that I think that everyone would be better off if they could have just a little piece of Kim my older sister, there lives would be more complete. I love you and I am so happy that I am one of the few that get to have a little piece of you, sometimes your just what the Dr. ordered.

TnD said...

It was so wonderful to read your blog today and hear such amazing things bout your sisters and sisters-in-law, including me. Some days you just need to hear something wonderful about yourself and today was that kind of day. Thank you. And congrats on the six miles, you are an iron woman. When are you going to join our Nike Challenge. Have Dave get you started while he is in Utah this weekend.

Johnson Journeys said...

It was wonderful to hear about the sisters in your life who bring you such joy and help you through those rough spots in life. After reading about them, I can better see why you are such an amazing person yourself--you have such an incredible family and support system. I really look up to you, Kim and appreciate the time we shared in the Primary presidency and the friendship we still enjoy. Your blogs inspire me and make me laugh. Thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

What an amazing post! I got a big choked up reading it. I could feel your love for these amazing women so profoundly. I'm so grateful for the opportunity I've had to glean a bit more of a first hand knowledge of each through blogs, facebook, etc. And just so you know, you're a pretty darned amazing woman yourself cousin Kim. :-)

Melissa Thatcher said...

you are amazing. Thank you for the beautiful words - you made me cry. yes, what an amazing family the Thatchers are. 6 miles girl!!` - you rock!