Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Rumpelstiltskin and the Question of Laundry

Music Pick: Deep River blues OR Dirty Laundry
Lee and I don't fight about much…….but the laundry has been in the top 2 reasons for discord for years. Bleach has been the blight (or colorless spot) on my laundry story. (All though it no longer is. It has been banned from the premise.)
I've passed on to the big girls the responsibility of sorting, washing, drying, folding and putting away their own laundry, eliminating 3 out of every 8 pairs of pants A DAY!!!, (Staggering, I Know.) Let's see, 8 pairs of pants x 7 days a week = 56 add on to that 2 sweat pants (work out clothing) 5 times a week equaling 66 and Sunday extras for a grand total of 74 items of clothing per week, just for the bottom ½ of my family. Even if the minus 3 pairs of pant per day is mostly theoretical, the concept is comforting.
Needless to say, Joy, even if the laundry comes out smelling great, is not a word found in sentences I’d use to describe the feelings I have when walking into a room full of laundry. The words are more like "Spin all this launder into gold by morning or you will.....….. DIE.” I look around for my Rumpelstiltskin, thinking “yes, yes I think I could give up a child …..for the greater good”. But the funny little man flying on a cooking spoon never shows up. Leaving me with mountains of straw, (unsorted, of course) and a spinning wheel (with a killer spin cycle) that will occacionaly knocks the liquid laundry soap on to the floor, and then spreads into a sticky blue & slippery mess. (With no guess work, you know the floor has piles of dirty AND CLEAN laundry on it, don’t you)?
The women in the story of Rumpelstiltskin makes off with a marriage to the King, (no way of telling how that went), except to say, he did want to kill her if she did not perform the task, of spining straw into gold, (she probable tried using bleach to do the task.) on the other hand…….. she was never asked to spin straw into gold again, (possibly an additional consequence of the bleach fiasco) OR………well this is my great question to you. How did she get out of the "spinning of the straw"? Or did she? If you love laundry, HOW, HOW, HOW?
All I have left to say is; If you happen to see the funny little man on the cooking spoon, would you please get his name and then send him over to my house, (dawn is fast aproaching)!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine having to do so much laundry! The secret to me liking laundry is...small loads every day! I don't like to put the clothes away but if they are small loads the task does not seem daunting! My friend has just taken up this new way of doing laundry and she loves it! give it a try every day after you get home from working out put in a load of laundry and fold the one that is in the dryer! Try making it a habit! It is so much easier than trying to do it all at once! You may even start to like it a little bit!

I Love and miss you so much!

TnD said...

The secret to me liking laundry is doing it only one time a week. It was one time every two weeks until Claire came along. I make a huge ordeal of it though and rent a movie to watch while I fold. It actually makes it something I look forward to. Also, I must say this works best when you go to a laundromat rather than do it at your home, because you can do eight loads at once and it doesn't take all day.

Angie said...

The key for me is dryer sheets I can't put my finger on it exactly but those dryer sheets can make me want to do laundry. But to be honest I have personally witnessed the leaning tower of pisa at your house and with six kids i think there is no hope till their all moved out and even then you'll still have a bunch of there clothes that will continue to be washed over and over again...as if by washing them it will make them disapear!!!

Lindsey Smith said...

If I knew the little man of whom you speak I would send him, but i don't. I didn't have a washer for 6 months so now that we have one i love to have clean clothes and i love laundry. I have to say that if I had six kids I would hate it too, i don't think there is much hope. But if you didn't have a washer and dryer at all maybe you would wish you had one. Love your funny little self, you crack me up.

MnS said...

I feel the same as you about laundry. I've come up with a couple ideas and am in the process of implementing them.

1. minimize my kids wardrobe to two outfits plus sunday cloths. I might have to do laundry more often but the piles will be small.
2. buy all dark clothing to avoid sorting.
3. pajamas? aren't they just the cloths on my kids back when they crash for the night?
4. outfits can be worn for multiple days. Dark cloths hide dirt and if you can't see it, it doesn't exist. right?

I'll let you know if I like my own advice.

sidandlindaadventures said...

Erma Bombeck has nothing on you. You should write a column for the newspaper yourself - funny, practical, and real. You inherited your laundry dilemma from your mother - sorry. I am sure that there are people with lots of children who are able to control the overwhelming piles of clothes, but I don't want to know them. I rationalize that they must be control freaks and you have to pick your battles and although laundry should probably be one it isn't. Sid's mother, Emelia ALWAYS said my laundry problem was too many clothes - children should have one to wear and one to wash!!! Now that would be manageable.

MaRea Hess said...

Kim, I possibly think you are one of the cutest people on this earth. Your to so funny, Lee doesn't come close to your funny side. I too have seen the leaning tower of pisa in your laundry room. I thought if I bought the nicest red washer and dryer that I would love to do laundry but, I still hate it!! I,ve heard this more than once if you hate something really bad tell yourself how much you love it until you do. I'm still telling myself that I love it but, in the same thought saying to myself you lier you hate it. That's what some said on the BYU devotional maybe that will inspire you to LOVE laundry. GOOD LUCK

Jeff and Holly said...

I'm with you girl! Laundry is for the "Rumpelstiltskin's" Not us moms. We have enough to do already!! During the summer,I am the cloths notsie(spelling?). I make them wear their cloths until they are stiff with what ever it is they play in. Well okay, I'm not quite that bad, but pretty dang close. I will love to see if any of those laundry lovers still like it after a few more kids! And as for sheets and towels, they are the exception...I love washing them since I LOVE climbing into a nice clean soft bed or towel. As for the rest, FABREEZE!

Melissa Thatcher said...

This is by far still one of my favorite posts. SO creative! So fabulously put! So unique. I LOVE IT. As I sit, sorting laundry myself, I have to smile :)

John & Tresa Martindale said...

Kim, you are so clever. I loved reading this I laughed out loud. Anyone with kids should relate. I just buy new underwear instead of tackling the pile. I call in reinforcment when the laundry room door is baracaded shut from all of the dirty clothes. There isn't a great solution. Just do it once a month. love you so much tresa.

Andie Bonze said...

Hahahaha I can COMPLETELY empathize with you on doing that much laundry. But then again, my mom and sisters are the ones with the biggest wardrobe:)
Its good to see that Laundry drives other people completely crazy as well. Im sorry though, its a task that takes much time and practice and just simply adds to the reasons for me to go naked from now on.
I miss you very, VERY much and hope to see you soon. Tell Meg I miss her and cant wait to go shopping with her soon.

Love,
Andie