Friday, November 7, 2008

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE JAZZ GAME. Music Pick; The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Two Beautifully Set Ying and Yangs
If you have never felt the desire to lead an orchestra, music may not be your thing, but if you have, you may well relate with Rachel, especially if have stood in front of the fountain at the gateway, and watched the sounds being produced, not only crescendo with emotion but with geysers of water synchronized to to rise and fall in a magnificent display of a kind of 'water ballet'.
You can probable imagine then, Rachel's arms beginning to find expression, at first in small movements, meant mostly for herself, then as the music gains in confidence so does Rachel and before you know it, everyone else does too, Rachel's leading the orchestra... in a black tie and tales. The conductor is so pleased with her performance she even allows herself a beautiful and gracious bow to the audience (now numbering about 15 people), they all loved the performance and clap with rapture, Rachel's enjoyment swells, as she takes another bow, "thank-you thank-you" she says, all to the great dismay of her older sister Allyse.
If even the idea of openly expressing this desire bring to you some discomfort AND EMBARRASSMENT, you relate with Allyse. As this spectacle begins to capture the attention of REAL PEOPLE, of course, Rachel could not have been more pleased, BUT, Allyse.....well, she would have forked over all her money from the tooth fair, birthdays, and begged for quarters, for a MEGA PHONE directly wired to Rachel's ears. "HEY, CRAZY GIRL WITH A PRETEND ORCHESTRA, YOU ARE EMBARRASSING!" To her credit, she kept her thoughts mostly to herself and did what any older sister would do in her place. She moved to a safe unassuming position, next to her Dad, and with a raised eye brow, whispered through the applause, ..............."I think she's been watching too much Conference!"



11 comments:

Kyle Hess said...

Rachel is one of a kind that is all I have to say. I love that she enjoys giving a show for people I always felt stupid in front of crowds, go Rachel!

TnD said...

Yeah Rachel. I love self expression!

Steph T. Nate said...

That is funny. Kids are the greatest. My aunt once told me to let be who they are even if it embarrasses you. I can see that you really enjoy your kids and let them explore who they are. That is awesome. What a great mom.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny I can so totally both imagine them reacting exactly the way they did! I love that Allyse lets Rachel do her thing that is so cute...I also can see the look that Allyse would be giving Rachel as she does her little diddy! Too stinking cute!!!

Jeff and Holly said...

That is the cutest story. Tell Rachel to NEVER change! The world needs more people like her.

Amy said...

It sounds like Rachel might be related to my Morgan. I'm a little more like Allyse myself. Lol! Too cute! What fun personalities!

I replied to your comment on my blog, but thought you might see it easier here.

"Thanks so much for your comment Kim. I whole-heartedly agree with everything you said. I hope these will be good years. If not, I'll be right there with you shouting like heck. :-)

*hug*

You're seriously awesome!"

Angie said...

I was thinking about it and realized that there are equal parts of me that identify with both girls. Times like this help me pin point one of many reasons why your family is one of my best friends.

Johnson Journeys said...

We all need a Rachel and an Allyse in every family so that we have creativity as well as someone to keep us grounded! What a fun description, Kim. Your blog always makes me smile and remember how good it is to appreciate those little moments in life!

John & Tresa Martindale said...

LOL. So funny! It's nice to have a child so into music! Ive tried to offer it up to mine, seems the gene in our pool, does not exist.
love ya
Tre

Lindsey Smith said...

I can't stop laughing, that is so funny. I am so Rachel, what a mutt. I love you family and what they are all about, you are such a good mom. I have learned so much from you and I plan on learning more. love you!

Miriam Lee said...

I LOVE IT!!!! How do you raise a child to be that confident!!! Those fountains are inspiring!!